Lubostroń is a village located in the region of Pałuki, in the district of Żnin, being the biggest village in the district of Łabiszyn.
A neoclassical palace, erected in the years 1795-1800, by Stanisław Zawadzki, a well-known neoclassical architect from the period, is certainly the greatest monument existing in Lubostroń. Next to the palace, there stands an annexe, a stable, and a coach house, all of which were added to the palace, later followed by a manor. The palace is surrounded by a historic park in the English style, a forest, fields and meadows. In 1762, the estate of Łabiszym was bought by General Franciszek Skórzewski, which were later inherited by his son Fryderyk. The very name “Lubostroń” was given By Fryderyk Skórzewski, an art connoisseur and the initiator of the erection of the palace and its later owner, as a combination of two Polish words: “lube” (meaning “dear”) and “ustronie” (meaning “retreat”). Rumour has it that the palace was supposed to resemble the Renaissance Villa La Rotonda located just outside the city of Vicenza, Italy, built by Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio.
Until 1939, the palace remained property of the Skórzyński family. After the Second World War, the manor started to fall apart. It was the result of both the military operations taking place in the area and the presence of the Soviet Army, which turned the palace into temporary barracks. Some of the valuables were simply stolen, others destroyed or burned. Shortly after WWII, it was chosen as the location for a State Agricultural Enterprise and a holiday centre for workers. It was not until the late 1960s when the director of the Pomeranian Philharmonic had finally convinced authorities to have the palace repaired, which made it possible to start organising music concerts in Lubostroń.
The palace became a stage for artists both from Poland and from abroad. One of the first music events organised by the Ignacy Jan Paderewski Pomeranian Philharmonic was a concert performed by the Capella Bydgostiensis orchestra, in 1963. Later on, the palace became the location of the Festival of Polish Music. Sometime later, when the state authorities took control of the estate, the place underwent major repairs.
Today, it holds various cultural events, concerts, and meeting with art, but also an annual contest for horse-drawn vehicles. In addition, the palace is home to a hotel and a restaurant.
The palace complex was used as a location for shooting a number of scenes in the film Kto nigdy nie żył/Who Never Lived (link), 2006, directed by Andrzej Seweryn, in which we see the story of young Father Jan, who suddenly learns that he is carrying the HIV virus himself. In the film, we see actor Robert Janowski, who was born in Inowrocław.
The palace was also visited by a film crew behind the popular TV series M jak miłość, who shot scenes for episodes 1158 and 1159, in which we can see Lubostroń, among others. In the TV series, the palace and park complex was used to shoot a photo session organised by Paweł Zduński (played by Rafał Mroczek) for his wife.
Kto nigdy nie żył
Directed by Andrzej Sewerynfull article
Kto nigdy nie żył
Directed by Andrzej Sewerynread more
M jak miłość
Directed by Krzysztof Łukaszewicz, Kinga Lewińska, Michał Wnuk, Agnieszka Trzos, and Michał Węgrzynread more