Górzno is a town located in Brodnica Poviat, within the boundaries of the Górzno-Lidzbark Landscape Park. The town was granted municipal rights in 1385.
The first written record to mention Górzno dates back to 1239. In the 14th Century, the town became the seat of bishops, which had a great impact on the further development of the town. The then residents of the town were farmers, fishermen, craftsmen and petty traders, which resulted from the fact that the town was located far from any main trading routes. Górzno suffered great damage during the Polish–Lithuanian–Teutonic War fought between 1409 and 1411, when the Teutonic Knights besieged and ravaged the town. It was not until the 16th Century, before the town started to thrive again.
Among the most significant historic monuments still preserved in Górzno, there are the baroque-classicist Church of the Holy Cross dating back to the end of the 18th Century and the beginning of the 19th Century, a neo-Gothic Evangelical Church (now adapted to serve as a cultural centre) completed in 1877, the foundations of a rectangular market square from the mediaeval era situated 40m above the water table, the old watermill buildings and a house (now known as Hotel Dworek Wapionka), and the historic wooden and wood and brick houses dating back to the end of the 18th Century and the beginning of the 19th Century.
Górzno was chosen as a film set for the début film ‘Chaos’ directed by Xawery Żuławski, which premièred in 2005.